Friday, March 1, 2013

Chris Perez Injury and Evolving Expectations

Why didn't Cleveland simply state that Perez was injured when they scratched him from the lineup?

The way it was handled caused a speculation frenzy. Cleveland basically said Perez is scratched and the reason is a mystery to be revealed later.

Social media flashes are uninteresting in themselves. Yes, someone was speculating on Twitter that Perez had a PED suspension. But I wasn't. No one on my Twitter feed was. So, the fact that someone was my making wild guesses about Perez leaves me cold. You can rant about modern life, but yawn.

As we waited roughly an hour to get the straight story, I realized that if Perez were traded, I'd be disappointed. Even if the trade were a good one for the team in the long term, my expectations have changed since December. I want to see how this season plays out. Let's see if Detroit is going to be healthy. Let's see how the various piece on the Tribe fit together.

This team has me intrigued. That wasn't true in December. I thought this team has no chance of playing meaningful games in September. If they made a decent trade in December, I would think, "Gotta get value when you can."  Now, let's roll the dice with this bunch.  While Detroit is still the on paper favorite, my expectations have evolved. I want to see this team play for awhile. Cause, maybe, just maybe...

No comments: