Thursday, April 14, 2011

Loving to Hate

I used an Ozzie Guillen post-game conference to make a point about Chad Durbin. This made me realize that there are certain coaches/managers that I love having a job but never want them to have a job with my team.

Football was better with Ditka, Wyche, Buddy Ryan, and Glanville having jobs. But I would never want them to coach the Browns.

I am slowly building my list for baseball.

I love having Ozzie Guillen in the league. He is clearly smart but a complete loose cannon. If you are unfamiliar with the Oz, he will listen to morning sports radio shows. If he disagrees with them, he will call in and go on long rants about being treated unfairly. That is a sports radio stations wet dream and a GMs nightmare.

Another candidate has to be Buck Showalter. I love that Buck called out Theo Epstein. Was that a wise choice? No. I mean why lose the "they didn't see us coming" advantage?

But it makes for good baseball drama. I hope that Buck has enough success that he feels uninhibited about stating his every thought.

However, crazy is not a sufficient condition for this category. I don't think that Terry Collins' "we must go 9 - 2" qualifies, because I want smart plus crazy. Terry Collins only gets the crazy part right.

Right now, I can't think of more managers to add to my list. If you think of any, let me know. The criteria are smart, crazy, and ultimately doomed. Let me know what you think.

No comments: