Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Random thoughts

-I have started doing some research on my next Matt LaPorta update. I have learned some things. LaPorta is looking for a first pitch fastball. Pitchers are still not throwing Matt many strikes. I am wondering a few things. What would count as minimally acceptable production? What would count as a reasonably optimistic projection?

-Josh Tomlin reminds me of this children's story. A little boy plants a seed. As he waters daily, various adult tell him the seed won't grow. Of course, the plant grows. Tomlin should be pitching in the majors. He was supposed to stall in his development. He doesn't have the stuff to be an effective major leaguer. But here he is.
So, I am trying to get some fresh eyes to re-examine Tomlin.

-I have read people saying this is the best bullpen since the 90s. But maybe it is better. Our best closer in that era was Jose Mesa. I won't reopen that wound, but Chris Perez does not remind me of Joe Table. Chris Perez's demeanor reminds me of another closer on the wrong side of World Series dramatics, Mitch Williams. That is strangely reassuring to me.

No comments: